Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Old Piano


Once again, she looked at me with those menacing eyes, full of hatred.
She came closer, and unlike her mother, who is gentle whenever she touches me,
She kicked me in the leg; causing me to let out a cry, produce by the wood that made me.
I looked at her, helpless, clueless of what is in her mind.
I looked at myself, and wonder what is it about me that made her to hate me so much.
She ran away from me and talked something too blur for me to hear to her mother, the woman I love the most.
After sometime, she and her daughter approaches me
“What’s wrong with this?” she asked
“It is old and ugly.” The little girl replied.
“Well, because he is an old piano. He is an antique you know.”
“But I hate it…it is out of tune.” She remarked grumpily.
“Lady, stop complaining. You should be glad to have a piano after all.”
As her mother spoke, she turned her back and ran towards the living room table.
A few minutes later, Lady returned bringing with her a piece of paper.
“See, mommy, these piano are better and more beautiful.” She said handing the paper to her mother.
Her mother looked at it for a second, and then handed the paper back to her.
“Please…mommy.” She pleaded.
But Mrs. Duncan just shook her head gently and started to play simple tunes out of me.
Irritated, Lady pout her lip, threw the paper aside and ran upstairs, to her bedroom.
“I still think you are the best.” Mrs. Duncan said touching me by the side.
After she left, I looked at the paper on the floor.
It shows different types of pianos.
They seem shiny and strong. Just like how I used to be.
Now, I am old and dull, and I realize the reason why Lady hates me.
However, I still hoping that she treasured me…

The next day, as usual, Mrs. Duncan wiped me gently with a piece of damp cloth to keep me shiny, though I may not be as glistening as I used to.
After that, she rested her delicate fingers on top of my white keys and played a song called “Bella Notte”
It was a sweet tune.
Suddenly, Lady’s appearance stopped her from playing.
“Good morning honey.” She said musically. “Oh…why are you crying?”
I was startled, what happened to her?
“Mommy, I don’t think I want a new piano anymore.”
After saying those words, they left the music room.

It was later that I found out that Lady, had a lucid dream the previous night. In her dream, I told her all about me and her mother. How her mother treats me so well all this while unlike her. In her dream she said, I cried and told her, if she never treasured me, she would never hear a good tunes out of me. And this morning she was touched by the tunes her mother managed to produce out of me and felt guilt for all that she had done…
Since then, Lady started to treat me nicely and manage to play a beautiful tune out of me too.

No comments: