Friday, March 30, 2012

Abbreviations (The World of Knitting)

k3,p3,C3B, alt, Dec. Inc.


These are some of the jargons or rather abbreviations used for knitters.
Just like musical scores that has their own aphebetical signifier,  (Treble cleff as G key and Bass Cleff as F key/ F# as F sharp etc.) and HTML has their own codes, so is knitting patterns.

And the above are some of the examples of the frequently seen knitting abbreviations.

At first I found it a little alien reading them. Fortunately, after going through countless knitting magazines and references I found myself beginning to understand them a little.

Still in the middle of beginner going to intermidiate stage, I thank all the Japanese and Chinese Books/ References that provides charts instead of words for easier references, though I would say that the western references offer a number of brilliant patterns (Thus, the more I need to brush up with my knitting abbreviation skills).  And all in all, I found myself ever so intrigued and amazed by the world of knitting.

Author such as Claire Crompton from her books Stitch Library and The Knitter's Bible had helped me a lot with the different possible patterns that I can make at my current stage. The book also allows me to be inspired by the various projects it offers. It is also through the exposure of this book that I am able to learn and read both patterns and abbreviations.

Besides her book, I had also borrowed a book by Potter Craft which entitles 400 Knitting Stitches which I believe will be a great guide for all beginner knit lovers. Just like Crompton's book, the book covers different forms of knitting patterns from the most basic moss stitch to the most complicated lace stitch or cable stitch, cross stitch etc. You name it.

Anyways, thanks to all these books, and several other books which is too long and too many to be named, I had been having a great time browsing and getting ideas for my next projects.

Currently I am into the world of short and sweet knitting projects, by saying that I mean, things that are easy and quick to make such as fingerless mittens (at least it is shorter and probably faster than shawls), or glass warmer/ leg warmer/ mufflers/ hand phone pouch.

Been finding sometime for the right measurement for handphone pouch as I was making one at the moment with my own scale lol. I hope I can find it and I hope mine is gonna turn out sweet :)

Well, without further ado, a sneak peak to some of the things I've done. Enjoy ;)

These two little things is a small shawl and bag like inspired 'project' that I did out of boredom today and yesterday.

Pretty glad that through the small shawl (yellow knit) I am able to exercise left-hand cable knits as well as a pattern of my own :) It really makes me smile when I see that the result is not too bad after all :) hehe.

The other one, the grey coloured knit, was another of my own invention with bag like inspired theme in  mind. Happy that through this exercise I am able to practise casting off the proper way, using the crotchet hook, as well as practicing my mind with moss stitch design.

And this one right here is a shawl I am making for my mom, currently the length is already like an ancient scroll (haha) and since it is not done, so I'm not gonna show you yet. The best is yet to come savvy?

Anyway, it was done with a 5 mm needle and yarn from this brand Sirdar Click Aran with Wool (70% Arcrylic and 30% Wool) and it was the first project I did after I am able to knit properly. 

And this one right here is my Christmas Inspired Maroon shawl.
Okay, I know Christmas is still far far away now, but, well who is not excited for Christmas? Everybody does and so do I, and so, I am just getting way too early.

Anyway, this is my first shawl and project that I knit myself and with cable knits.
Both shawls are still on the brink of the finishing line and I really hope that I can see the final result soon :)

Alright got to go, the time now is 12:52 a.m. and song of the day before I end my post is Samba Pa Ti by Guitarist Peter Pupping.

Good Night and see you in my next post :)

Love and Peace,
Yuliana :)















No comments: