Friday, March 9, 2012

Titles Titles (For all book lovers!)

Hmmm..It's been sometime since I last visited a book store and bought myself a new book, LOL suddenly, all the book prices seems so frightening LOL. What to do? Been living a humble-cheapskate life-- whereby instead of buying I borrow it from the nearby library, haha yesterday I found myself, seriously having a difficult time in deciding whether or not to buy.

If it's not because the book is 'on loan' islandwide, maybe I will not even bought it.

Well hellow there! How r ya doing? Been sometime since the last time I updated my posts.
In fact for the time being I've been wondering what on earth have I been doing.
Not much I suppose, thus the reason why there's nothing special to post about-- or even if they do, facebook and twitter had already told them all.


Anyway, been busy, KNITTING!
as I've written previously, I had finally took up that skills from my aunt when I went back to Medan one happy January. And since then, had been finding myself spinning in the world of yarns and needles and knitting apparrels.


Thus far, I've been in 2 serious projects of making a shawl and a muffler. And had been shopping for yarns yarns yarns and more yarns, that at present, I've had about 10 or more yarns in my closet. (uh-oh! blame it on Spotlight who is having a great yarn sale till end of this week :p )


So engrossed was I in the world of knitting that for a moment when I stopped back and think about what have I been doing besides knitting, I realized that I have not been doing pretty much. Well, yeah...not much.


And one thing that I missed the most when I entered into Kinokuniya Bookstore yesterday, after finally getting rid of the knitting books fever at the Mandarin and Japanese section as well, is my passion for fiction books.


I was so happy when I was able to discover some new titles on the shelves. And this makes me want to bring them all home, and build myself a fort out of books and create a 'reading world'.


Some titles that I found interesting are:
1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran which had become a movie starring Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks. (and which I had found great interest and decided to bring it home)


2. Something of the Night by Ian Marchant which explores into the different lifestyles/ activites people do when the night came, and believe or not, "we all have something of the night about us." (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13366208-something-of-the-night) (hmmm..spooky!!!)


3. Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern which told a story about a mysterious night circus that came only at night and leaves without a trace the day after and what happened inside that black and white tent when two of their characters fall in love? (Seems pretty in a spooky way too...I'm expecting to see another great journey like the one I had with Water for Elephant)


4. Hector and the search for Happiness by French Author Francois Lelord which told a story about Hector, a psychiatrist who went on a journey all over the world in search of happiness and did he learnt in the end? The book had been regarded as a 'feelgood gem' and selling over two million copies. And for your information, the book is a psychological-effect of some sort genre as well, so for those of you who loves psychology, maybe you can try.  (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/hector-and-the-search-for-happiness-by-francois-lelord-1951338.html)  (Think I will give this one a try...never read a psychological related books before :) it will be a good exploration for the mind :) huuuhuuu...)


5. Books of Ghost Stories by Roald Dahl which involved a selection of 14 ghost stories selected by Dahl himself after reading some 749 supernatural tales at the British Museum Library (can you believe it? he read 700 over ghost stories...wow!! I wonder how haunted his mind can be? :p) Honestly when I saw this, I was overwhelmed. I never thought that Dahl is gonna come up with such haunting ideas remembering him as the author of such happy creations such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/ Fantastic Mr Fox. Anyway, maybe it's worth our time to read it! I'm prepared for the eerieness as after all, "spookiness is after all the real purpose of ghost story...It should gives you the creeps and disturb your thought." -- Dahl. 


Some other interesting titles are:


The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes and winner of the 2011 Man Booker Prize. 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson and The Art of hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker. 


Well, so far these are what I've read (the reviews) yesterday when walking around Kinokuniya.
Seems like a good time to read read and read!!!!


Hee, for more titles, do check out Kinokuniya Bookstore and be their member too! (It's really worth it! especially when they have member's offer :))
http://www.kinokuniya.com/sg/index.php/fbs002 (can make book search from the following link too before you go to the store. see so convenient :p )


Anyway, do take up some time to read peeps afterall a good read serves a good knowledge :)


See yawl soon.


Love and Peace,
Yuliana ;)


"The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fade." Anthony Trollope





No comments: