Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Eenie Minnie Manny Mooreee...

With 7 books to read and 7 books (plus some other unfinish books I have i my bookshelves) I am beginning to wonder how am I suppose to read finish all these. Well, to think of it, it means that I got to start reading. Start waking up and start reading.

I wonder how many hours a day should I spend in order to read finish the books which I gauged myself to finish in about 2 weeks :) Lol perhaps I should time myself reading. Like the other day when I was reading "The Land of Stories The wishing Spell" by Chris Colfer- an amazing book indeed. have you guys read it? Read it! Worth reading.

It took me about 3-5 days to finish it. And it took me approximately 2 hours for 3 chapters.

So... if my 'Watership Down" By Richard Adams have OMG... 50 chapters!!!!! (man that guy really writes a lot) that means i will finish that book in about approximately--- 3 plus plus days... not including the time I procrastinate myself to read. Hm.... okay.. not bad.

Maybe then I should put this book as my second option instead of the first. What do you think?

Anyway, I'll figure that out later.

Been overwhelmed with so many activities due to pre-during-and-post Hope Project 2013 now that it was all over, I am beginning to feel a little empty here.
 The good news is...however, I was able to find a lot of beautiful books for both English and Mandarin and wells... this is the first time in almost 5 years since the last time I got in touch with mandarin books, that I feel so much into reading mandarin books.

And so, unlike the usual me who only walk along the English novels, these days I have been walking around the mandarin books section as well. I am glad to discover some nice Chinese authors whose stories are easy to understand and engaging to read.

This allows me to feel a little back to my own roots. At the same time allows me to rediscover myself mesmerised by the languaged I used to learn once again.

Well, thanks to Hope Project though, because as I was there last Saturday, I could not help but notice that there are some English books placed on the children book shelves. Well... background story, Hope Project, is a Mission Project that my church involved in to make a difference in the life of the orphans at Berkat Bangsa, an Independent Orphanage in Batam.

This mission started out a year ago and our involvement is to help these orphans with their school fees as well as being a family to them through yearly visit to the orphanage.

Thus far I am glad to be able to see how the children grow so well and so good since 10 months ago.

And really, seeing how active they played and took part in the activities we provided for them, like singing the Sunday school songs together, and pray and shared - Seeing how they welcomed us all with open arms and a huge grins on their little faces, it was really touching.

So... what it got to do with the books on the shelves right? Yeah... getting there.
You see, the problem now is that, these children, they speak Indonesian. They speaks in my native language, Bahasa Indonesia, and they dont speak English. Unfortunately, the books on their shelves which are mostly donated from churches or donators overseas, are written in English.

You see... how it is problematic? Like damn man... how the heck are they going to read those books?

And therefore, seeing that, it came to me to feedback to the Hope Committee that maybe in the future on our next trip there, we can create a game whereby we teach them a little English like Jesus - Yesus, Jesus loves me - Yesus mengasihi Ku.  Well, I dont know if it is gonna be taken into account, but for me, being a foreigner in a foreign land learning foreign language like mandarin, it makes me feel so wow (at first) and now that I mastered up that language, I realized how useful it is.

Just like me. I believe that these children, they too have the right to learn another language and be mesmerised by all the great fun they will be learning from having in contact with another language. And that way too... in the future they will be able to read all those books on their shelves. And that simple activity of teaching them English, may become a lifetime useful skills for them. :)

Isn't that GREAT? GREATO? 

HUFF... well...we'll see...

I really hope that those children will be a good learner in the future. God bless them.

Have not been reading for sometime...and I guess seeing all the good books before me just make me feel so excited. I miss how I can spend hours and hours reading and writing.

At the moment some books to recommend will be :

1. The Land of Stories The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer (yes. the glee star)
- Feedbacks: Be entertained by all the tweak and twist of the Fairy Tales you know so well. You will be smiling and laughing and mesmerising throughout. Five stars from me :) 

2. The Magician's Elephant by Kate Dicamillo 
- Feedbacks:  I really like the way Dicamillo wrote the story in such simple details yet mesmerising and magical, kinda gothic feel throughout the whole story. Its amazing. Be mesmerised! 

3. Whats so Amazing about Grace by Philip Yancey
- Feedbacks: This one is a MUST to read if you want to know more about God's grace. Why is there grace? Whats grace? Well explained with some food for thoughts to sharpen your mind and change your attitude about grace. Read it when you are busy. Be enriched fully and most importantly, pray before you read it.

4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 
- Feedbacks: If you ever felt in love? You will understand what Humbert Humbert is feeling. Although it was a little unusual kind of love affairs. But overall, the description, the flow of the story, the lustious desire of an unappropriate reason was beautifully expressed that as a reader you just read and read and at the end of it understand why the book is a masterpiece.

5. Theres a boy in a girl bathroom by Loiuse Sachar 
- Feedbacks: Heartwarming. Entertaining. Mesmerising. Thats all I can say. (I read it all at one sitting. Yeah... you can imagine what that means.)

:) There are some others which I hope I can recommend. But... T_______T!!! unfortunately, I can't because I have not read em. Except to read its synopsis....but never mind.. once I finished some, I will come back for more for another reviews :) savvy?

Meanwhile, should you have any recommendations, do not hesitate to share it with me :) I'm open to all kinds of stories and all kinds of books.

Continue reading. And if you have not, start reading! It makes you smart and it entertains :)

Take care now bye bye then...

Love and Peace,
Me :)


No comments: